I had always wondered, what actually our country’s best business school might be teaching differently.
Well to understand this, I did not thought of enrolling in to their PGP or MBA programs, nor I am that intellect to get into one however; since it has been some 7 years I have been working into Digital Marketing and Data Analytics industry hence I thought of checking out their Analytics certification programs…
Yes, I am serious… these best business school of our country do offer such niche (Big Data Analytics Certification) certifications, you guessed it right! I am talking about IIM’s and other premier institutes such as SP Jain.
At the outset, let’s get our basics right…Big Data?
Patrick Schwerdtfeger very clearly explains Big Data.. watch this video,
Want to know more about Big Data?
I recommend reading “Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think” by Viktor Mayer-Schonberger & Kenneth Cukier. Two leading experts explains what big data is, how it will change our lives, and what we can do to protect ourselves from its hazards. What is Big Data Analytics?
I do not want to create any new definition for Big Data Analytics because there are already many of them in place, I find definition of SAS Institute Inc. very much precise and correct which says,
Big data analytics examines large amounts of data to uncover hidden patterns, correlations and other insights.
In case you are planning to get into big data / analytics industry, these are the certifications worth considering in India,
1) Big Data Analytics, by IIM-Bangalore
This looks like partially residential program. Unfortunately, the last date of application has been passed. But, that shouldn’t stop you reading about this valuable certification, keep reading to check if you possess what it takes…
Are you eligible?
- Analytics background
- You should have a bachelor’s degree in any stream (but with Mathematics)
- You should have 3+ years of work experience
- Above all, you should possess programming/coding knowledge
What is the objective of this certification?
- Analyze datasets using different techniques such as statistics, machine learning, operations, deep learning, data mining and network analysis.
- Process the unstructured data (that of Social media messages etc.)
- Gain hands on experience with platform, tools and languages that are required for statistical analysis and visualization (R programming / Python) including Gelphi, Spark and Hadoop
- And Lot more…
Program Venue IIM – Bangalore Campus / and partly through E-Learning
How much is the Fees?
Rs 4,00,000/*– + service tax (as applicable) per participant. You can pay it in 2 installments as below, Rs. 2,25,000/- + service tax : 1st installment on admission Rs. 1,75,000/- + service tax : 2nd installment
Read more about this course here>>
2) Big Data And Analytics Program (BDAP), by SP Jain School of Global Management, Mumbai
Are you eligible?
A Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in a discipline with a strong quantitative component like: Engineering (any discipline) | Mathematics | Physics Statistics | Economics
What is the objective of this certification?
- Apply quantitative modelling and data analysis techniques to solve real world business problems
- Present results using data visualization techniques
- Demonstrate knowledge of statistical data analysis techniques utilized in business decision-making
- Relate principles of Data Science to the analysis of business problems
- Employ data mining software to solve real-world problems
- Employ cutting-edge tools and technologies to analyze Big Data
How to apply?
Submit an application form online (www.spjain.org). Please save a copy of the online form for your reference. There is no application fee.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for further Evaluation at their campus in Mumbai. Students based out of Mumbai can opt for an online evaluation procedure. (Evaluation Fee= INR 3000)
- The evaluation consists of a one-hour Aptitude test (Quantitative Aptitude) & a Panel Interview. (Students are advised to acquaint themselves with Programming and Statistics Basics. They will be tested for both logical and analytical ability).
Approximately 2-3 workings days after the Evaluation, candidates are emailed an admission decision
Program Venue SP Jain Mumbai Campus
What’s the Fees?
Approximately Rs. 7,12,900 /- Including tax A detailed fee structure has been provided on SP Jain website What’s next? Confused whom to choose?
What’s my take if I were to choose between IIM-B and SP Jain?
Looking at the schedule posted by IIM-B on their website, looks like that it is not 100% residential program, it is partially through E-learning/ video mode, while that of SP Jain its full-time/part-time program on their campus.
I believe, it is very important to conceive these lectures/practical sessions in real time compared to the video mode training. Again, I cannot simply ignore the prestigious logo of IIM-B on my analytics certificate. 🙂
There is a famous saying “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among stars!” That’s the case here…
Do not be under impression that as you are ready to pay ‘X’ lac rupees you will surely be enrolled into these premier Big Data Analytics Certification very easily, both of these institution have record of rejecting many applications which they found as profile mismatch.
I know this very well because one of my good friend applied for it and he got rejected, I believe that the reason of my friend’s rejection was his profile that was more inclined towards digital marketing and less towards data analytics.
Pro Tip: Before you send your application / resume / profile for screening, make sure that it look like you have decent experience with data analysis (This should be honestly written and not just to impress them), clearly explain your achievements and accomplishments.
Provide them some best reasons to get convinced. Convince them that you have the right mix of skills that are required to be a great data analyst, if possible try reading some articles that lists down traits of good data analyst, here is one such article: http://www.businessbee.com/resources/sales/5-traits-good-data-analyst/
Try to assess yourself, if in reality do those traits reflect in you, not necessarily all those traits, but at least few of them.
It is recommended that you prepare for the S P Jain’s internal entrance exam with “Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations” – by R.S. Aggarwal since it is recommended by the institute itself.
In a nutshell, both of these institutions and their certifications are of great value, not that you will get a very highly paid job just solely on the basis of your certification but it will be equally judged on your analytical, presentation and negotiation (salary) skills 😉
I hope my article have added value in your decision making.
So what do you think?
Got thoughts? Got questions? Got suggestion?
Just shoot them UP!!
Interested in Digital Marketing?
Here is an article that compares two premier institutes IIM-B and MICA which are now offering Digital Marketing Certifications.